LA 2.1 Discussing Literacy Development
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
1.2 Employ theories of acquisition of a primary and new language in instruction.
TA: 40 Minutes
Teachers can increase their use of L2 learning and literacy strategies as they teach English Language Learners both in literacy instruction and also in content area lessons.
Students have reviewed issues of first language literacy development from their homework. They now reflect on their own practice, second language literacy models and theories and the Second Language Acquisition Framework in a collaborative discussion to build greater understanding of second language literacy development.
- Students will have five minutes to think and write answers to the questions based on the learning activities and homework Session 1, using the First and Second Language Acquisition Teaching Practices. This will help them prepare for a group discussion.
- Based on your Personal Literacy Statement and Literacy Education Practices Statement, which three ideas do you believe are most important to you in your practice?
- Review the article you studied from HW 1.2. What concepts would be helpful to review with your group? How do you plan on strengthening your ELL literacy teaching practices?
- Review the 2 article summaries you read on first language acquisition from HW 1.4. What similarities and differences do you need to be aware of in teaching first and second language acquisition?
- Consider the WIDA Performance Definitions from HW 1.3. What are challenges English Language Learners might face when learning to read in another language?
- In small groups, discuss your responses to the questions above. Create a draft of a poster you could hang in your workspace to convey your understanding, beliefs, and practices in teaching literacy to first and second language acquisition students.
- How does a think and write before a group discussion prepare learners to engage in meaningful learning?
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality