HW 4.2 Planning for Teaching Vocabulary in my Unit
|Learning Outcome||Pedagogical Intent||Student Position|
Use knowledge and skills to construct learning environments that support development of English language proficiency
Assessment: 50 pts.
Due: Session 7
Teachers can revise their Unit Plan in relationship to vocabulary development.
Students have learned about selecting and teaching vocabulary, developed principles to guide construction of a literacy focused classroom and have developed a list of vocabulary needed for this unit. They are positioned to revise their unit to attend to vocabulary development.
- For this assignment, you will work on revising your unit plan, attending to how you will teach or support the academic language learning necessary for understanding the content in your unit.
- The following experiences and documents will support you decisions about attending to vocabulary:
- The Unit you are revising.
- Literacy Profiles for 2 ELs (HW 3.2)
- The Literacy Guidelines for ELs with your notes about what they mean (LA 3.3)
- Notes from your reading about selecting and teaching vocabulary (LA 4.2/4.3)
- Notes from the AVG on Vocabulary Development (HW 3.4)
- Planning to improve the content learning and literacy development (HW 4.3?)
- Planning to Teach Vocabulary (LA 4.4)
- Use the Planning to Teach Vocabulary document you built in class to revise your unit plan and list of lessons.
- Develop the documents and activities you will use to support your students generally and the 2 ELs you are focusing on specifically.
- Keep track of the changes you make in your plan and the basis for your revisions and accommodations. (You will use these notes in session 7 when you create the document that reports your revisions and your reasoning behind them).
End-of-Chapter Survey: How would you rate the overall quality of this chapter?
- Very Low Quality
- Low Quality
- Moderate Quality
- High Quality
- Very High Quality