Exercise: Revise listing punctuation
- Interesting buildings on BYU campus include: the Wilkinson Center, the Museum of Art, and the Fine Arts Center. (no verb before the semicolon, capitalization after the semicolon not necessary)
- If you have clear organization, you have a clear, controlling thesis; specific, connected topic sentences; and a logical flow between your ideas. (semi colons used in a list that has other commas)
- April, June, September, and November each have 30 days. (no issue)
- We will write three major essays this semester: a problem/solution essay, a comparison essay, and a process essay. (no issue)
- New students attend an informative, helpful orientation at the beginning of the semester. (comma between the two adjectives for the same noun)
Exercise: Revise linking punctuation
- Personality tests can tell you a lot about a person, but they aren’t a perfect measure of what people are really like. (no issue)
- BYU has lots of fun activities for students, so you will never be bored on the weekends. (missing the conjunction)
- Amazon is one of the most popular websites for online shopping, and you can find a wide variety of products that ship quickly to your home. (comma, not a semicolon)
- Electricity was one of the most important inventions in the nineteenth century, and it led to other important inventions. (needs a comma before the second clause)
- The United States fought a revolutionary war against England and won their independence. (no comma needed, not two independent clauses)
Exercise: Revise run-on sentences (Answers may vary, examples provided)
- Parents do not control what their children do. Children’s behavior is affected more by television, movies, and other influences from outside the home. This is a terrible thing that sociologists have noticed, but fortunately, parents are still interested in trying to teach their children. Parents should teach their children about good behaviors and parents will see improvements in the behavior of their children.
CC BY-NC: This work is released under a CC BY-NC license, which means that you are free to do with it as you please as long as you (1) properly attribute it and (2) do not use it for commercial gain.